FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Saturday, March 11, 2006

In Memory of Tom Fox

It is my belief that while greedy individuals who wish to serve only themselves use God as a projection of themselves in order to worship themselves (Slobodan Milosevic comes to mind), positive individuals who wish to serve humanity use God as an external receptacle for their own talents. Thus they are modest about their gifts, having placed them outside of themselves. Tom Fox was such a person.

I do not worship Jesus (or any deity), but I certainly believe in the Sermon on the Mount and embrace everyone else who believes it, too. I am utterly devastated to learn of Fox's death. I had real hope that he would be released. That press conference by his colleagues is an inspiration to me.

I want to take this moment to denounce all violence, whether it be the Iraq War or the kidnapping and killing of contractors and aid workers, whether it be the occupation of the Palestinian Territories or the actions of Islamist suicide bombers, whether it be motivated by religion or racism or just plain boredom and drunken "jokes" (like the arson of churches). In memory of Tom Fox and all people like him, I affirm my belief in the peaceful resolution of conflict and the equality of all people on the planet earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home