FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Monday, May 28, 2007

Galapagos Diary: An *Hic* Aside...

I'm skipping ahead a little in my account because this is a funny story.

After our travels in the Galapagos, we disembarked from the ship and flew from the island of Baltra to Guayaqil in Ecuador. I was depressed because we were beginning the trip back home and didn't feel like touring the city with a guide.

So Jo Ann and I took showers, fixed ourselves up and went to the bar. She ordered scotch on the rocks with a twist, and I ordered kahlua on the rocks.

A what seemed a long time, the waiter came back with only one glass, which he set in front of Jo Ann. We both stared at it quizzically. It looked rather like Kahlua, but more watery and it had a, well, twist. And indeed it did! Jo Ann asked the waiter, "What is this?" and he replied, "That's your scotch and kahlua on the rocks with a twist."

BLEAH! Scotch and kahlua? Okay, I was a cocktail waitress - and I've never heard of that one!

Yuck! Jo Ann corrected the waiter, who looked sheepish. Finally, we received our drinks and toasted our trip.

That hotel in Guayaquil was a strange place.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

Oh, no! That poor Scotch, cut down in its prime. =(

May 28, 2007 11:14 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

I'm reminded of the time I asked for a Rumpleminze (peppermint Schnapps) and a water, a fairly usual combination for me, and got a Rumpleminze and water instead. Blecch!!

May 28, 2007 11:39 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Yes, what a waste of good scotch (and kahlua - and Rumpleminze). Icky! *Cough*

That was a weird hotel.

Several people went for the massage. It doesn't sound like the kind of massage that I get at Litespa here in Minneapolis. The way that Pat, one of the organizers, described it, it sounded more like waterboarding! (Well, okay, I'm exaggerating here.)

May 28, 2007 11:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heh. I'd love to know what the bartender was thinking.

May 29, 2007 12:27 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Well anyway, let's all lift a glass of scotch and kahlua in a toast to Ken Ham and to his opening of the Museum of Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Lies. *Spit* ;-)

May 29, 2007 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't scotch and kaluha called a 'rusty nail'?

May 30, 2007 12:02 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I think that's scotch and Drambuie, my deah!

Due to the urging of a friend I did shots of Drambuie with beer. Never again!

May 30, 2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what a waste of good scotch!
Very funny that during the Galapagos Island Travel I did last year something very similar to this happend to me!

May 02, 2010 8:49 PM  
Anonymous انفجن said...

very good scotch but not got to miss all this at all

October 18, 2010 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home