FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Note About Women Traveling Alone

There are the usual dangers for a woman traveling by herself: sexual attack, robbery, pick-pockets, uncomfortable stares and whistling from men, etc. On this Galapagos trip I traveled with a group of (mostly older) men and women, and felt quite safe. I have traveled absolutely alone (to Europe) and also had few problems. (Beware of fiends hassling women in the Rhein Valley.) Therefore, it is a sad fact that the most likely problem that the lone female traveler will encounter is loutish chauvinism and unwarranted suspicion from other Americans in our supposedly enlightened culture.

How ironic that we’re “exporting democracy to Iraq” when I have already had to put at least one of my own countrymen in his place at the airport about my conduct, which was blameless, aboard the ship. I will not have – repeat, I shall not tolerate – off-color accusations or jokes made toward me either in person or on this blog regarding my trip to the Galapagos. (I notice that such accusations and jokes are always directed toward the female and not the male alleged tango partner.) If anyone out there wants to make such accusations and jokes elsewhere, there’s little I can do about it, unless the blogger wishes to deal with them, or if they are defamatory, in which case be assured I shall take action. I will not have my family or anyone else’s hurt, and I have done nothing to do so.

It’s sad that I even feel the need to say this (and I know I don't have to say this to most of you), but frankly, I encountered this same set of assumptions and nudge-nudge-wink-winky from certain jerks when I went alone to Germany and Austria years ago – just before the first Iraq War, and I felt the same sense of irony about American attitudes toward women travelers while we were “liberating” the Kuwaitis, the majority of whom, men and women, still cannot vote.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristine said...

The comment was a verbal one said to my face. For the record, the man apologized. (Now that I look at it, it sounds pretty jealous; I think he was kind of after me on the ship.)

Then there was someone at Pharyngula and here who kept asking where Lalla was (how in blazes should I know?) and I wanted to head off the problem that I had had when I went to Europe. A woman traveling alone is not prowling, but unfortunately, some Americans seem to think so.

May 23, 2007 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And let me just add one little aside...

So what if she is prowling? It's nobody's business but hers and the prey's. (Not that you were of course.)

Sounds a lot like jealousy to me, Kristine. Perhaps he was prowling, and in a huff because he didn't do so well at it.

May 23, 2007 1:49 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Well said. (And it would also be John's problem if it were true, but not this guy's business.) But let me add this:

Women really do want romance, you know. We really want poetry, silly stuff, innocent stuff. That's what my flirty-funny persona online is about.

I did have a certain silly, completely innocent little wish come true, and to have someone turn that into licentious, conniving behavior on my part really spoils it, you know?

So, my advice to some of you guys out there is this: if you're still alone, on a cruise and not getting anywhere, think about why and watchyer mouth, okay? When you see a pretty girl, don't grab her like she was a flapjack! ;-)

May 23, 2007 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When you see a pretty girl, don't grab her like she was a flapjack!"

Indeed. For two reasons:

1) You'll not get the results you're looking for.

2) You're likely to pull back a bloody stump.

Just sayin'.

:)

May 24, 2007 11:08 AM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

Imagine - someone having a crush on you - minstardom does have its slings and arrows.

I think you do far better traveling alone than many women would since you
project a good deal of confidence - its the meekish, help-me women that get in the most trouble.

May 24, 2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

3. And you'll spill your syrup.
(Sorry couldn't resist.)

Imagine - someone having a crush on you

Well, aside from my committed relationship and all, he wasn't my type. (If he's reading this, sorry, Honey, but it's true.) And he couldn't believe that I'm not dancing the dance of the seven veils every hour for John. Yes, he knew about John. You know, I just ain't processing all of this! ;-)

May 24, 2007 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home