FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Sunday, May 20, 2007

Home Again

I got home around 12:30 a.m. or so last night. I'll post photos when I can.

Of course I have piles of laundry, and I must go back to work tomorrow.

How strange to be home again with my honey and my cats, one splayed out like a sea lion as always and the other, the Daddy's girl, toddling after John with her penguin waddle. They came running and greeted me at the door last night like the sweeties they are.

While I was sick I had strange dreams about the replicators of another, alien organism taking over, like outlaw genes, the Congressional seats and the presidency and the Supreme Court - which is pretty much what has happened over the last decade.

Friday night I had a dream that I was in downtown Minneapolis in my work clothes, clinging to a craggy lava flow while waves crashed around me, and inching my way along trying to get to work, and thinking, "We really need to improve mass transit in this town."

Last night my dream was vaguely of brackish lagoons, but that's all I remember. I know that I've changed; I'll never see the world in quite the same way again.

Coming soon: THE GALAPAGOS DIARY!

P.S.: I did not get much reading done, except in The Extended Phenotype, which gave me that crazy dream.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Kristine,

I hope your experiences left good impressions, gave years worth of satisfying memories, and presented a lifetime of questions to occupy your restlessly inquisitive mind.

Take a few days to get yourself reacclimated, then per penance for all your pre-Galapagosian gloats, share, share, share.

Glad you're back.

May 20, 2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Thank you. Holy Toledo, but I had a good time!

I've never been on a cruise ship before, and ours wasn't that big - which was fine with me. It had a jaccuzi on the sun deck (I've already talked about that, right?), and there was nothing like sipping pina coladas in there while the ship navigated to our next destination. That was where some of the real deep discussions happened! ;-)

I just downloaded by digital photos and developed my film. Dang it, I cut off the top of Richard's head when he obligingly posed with a copy of Origin of Species on Darwin's favorite Island (James/Santiago). I'm a mediocre photographer. (Well, the person who snapped me holding the same book cut off the top of my head, too. Oh, well.)

And I could kick myself, for I forgot to get a photo of Eddie Tabash.

Well! I guess I'll just have to go on the Amazon cruise next year! (After I declare personal bankruptcy, that is.) ;-)

May 20, 2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger Alan Fox said...

Pleased to hear you had a good time. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Did you get to talk to Prof. Dawkins?

PS who's Eddie Tabash?

May 21, 2007 3:51 PM  
Blogger Alan Fox said...

Never mind, googled Mr Tabash. Alles ist klar.

May 21, 2007 3:57 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Did you get to talk to Prof. Dawkins?

Yes, indeed! Chatted quite a bit - not always about science, just stuff. He's very nice. In fact he let me watch the Christopher Hitchens CNN appearance on his laptop, since the two computers in the ship's library were as slow as molasses.

May 21, 2007 4:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back, unsick and all from that enviable trip. Those were some pretty interesting fever dreams too.

Oh, but now I must go sit by the mail box and wait for my tortoise.

May 22, 2007 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home