FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Thursday, May 03, 2007

"Darwin Is Dead" Is Dead

Well, that's news! "It was rather a mess." Rather!

My favorite quote from those guys:

Because the universe is either eternal or came from nothing.

I hope no one seriously considers something from nothing in this day and age.

An eternal universe is not possible either. You cannot count to infinity. No matter how long you count you will always have a finite set of numbers.

Well! That settles that. Therefore the number pi does not exist! (That, along with almost all numbers that exist. Duh.)

But seriously. What have these evolution denialists contributed, ever? Could they even muster up one idea that wasn't nefariously quote-mined from a legitimate scientific source?

What diseases did they cure? Evolution education is a public health issue.

What has their explanation ever been besides "Goddidit"? What was that supposed to tell me?

What was their example of distortion, tricks, and outright lying supposed to teach me?

Shimmies to Duo Quartuncia and Pharyngula.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger sylas said...

Hey Kristine, thanks for the link. I've only just joined the blogsphere; but when Pharygula picked up this story and linked to my blog, the hits went through the roof. And now I have the pleasure of finding new corners of the web from links such as yours.

Excuse me... I now have to go and browse through the rest of your offerings.

May 03, 2007 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was recently doing some calculating. If it assumed that the sun radiates its output uniformly from its surface, then only five ten billionths of that energy impinges upon the earth.

Rather wasteful, I'd say. An intelligent designer would have enclosed the sun in a Dyson sphere.
Scotius

May 03, 2007 10:14 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Welcome, Duo Quartuncia! Thank you for stopping by.

Ah, but Scotius, didn't you know that the earth has a "twin" satellite that orbits the sun in our orbit, but we can't see it, since it's always behind the sun?
;-)

(Actually, I've always liked that theory - rather fun, but also the basis for too many amateur sci fi short stories.)

May 04, 2007 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in 1955, I had a paper route. The Saint Joseph, MO, "Gazette" carried a strip called "Twin Earths." I was enjoying it immensely, but it must not have been very popular. That summer, the paper dropped it.

Even if there were a twin earth of similar diameter, just one billionth of the solar output would impinge upon the two of them. If there were such bodies in the Trojan positions, only three billionths of the sun's energy would reach them.

Still rather wasteful.
Scotius

May 07, 2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

When I was young I belonged to the L-5 society, that wanted to build a solar collector in space and beam the energy down to earth. ;-)

It never happened. Oh, well.

Anyway, I'm off to the Galapagos Islands! Behave yourself!

May 07, 2007 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home