FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Monday, April 23, 2007

You Shovel 16 Tons...

"Natural Sistine chapel" found in coal mine.

Unidentified fossil in Saudi Arabia is finally labeled a giant fungus.

Neato!

And I'll never get my living Trilobite - and you know, it's worth it!

UPDATED: ...And waddaya get? A Pharyngula post with some jokes you don't get...

"Holmes! What kind of rock is this?"
"Sedementary, my dear Watson."
Arh, arh, arh. ;-)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing this is pretty old. Number of computers on earth are estimated at nearly a billion, in a population of 6 and a half billion. Even assuming most of those aren't privately owned, well, it's more than zero per hundred.

Yeah, I do get sick of being such a tosser.

April 24, 2007 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'll never get my living trilobite."
My pet trilobite died.
Four hundred million years ago.
May its soul, if it had one, find solace in the Great Beyond, if there is any such place.
Its name was Trilly,which sounds rather silly. The name seems feminine, but I never determined the sex of the creature. I'm not that much of a paleontologist.
Scotius

April 24, 2007 10:12 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

"Tosser"? You must excuse me, I'm American! ;-) But good point.

Scotius that made me laugh. But you know what? Up until now I was thinking that my only option was adopt-a-(fossilized) trilobite, but now there’s hope!

April 24, 2007 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping that you would laugh was the inspiration for my previous entry.

You recall the pet rock craze? For years, my pet sea lily, vintage 300,000,000 BCE(a good year), sat on the kitchen window sill at my folk's place. It didn't eat much, and it didn't leave messes under the couch.

I really don't remember where I found that fossil crinoid.
Scotius

April 24, 2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Oh man, I remember pet rocks! I mean, now I do! That was a long time ago. I didn't really get into it.

When I was little, I carried a bag on my shoulder to put rocks in. That’s where my agate went when I found it (the one in my story). I also have a horned coral fossil that I found in Lake Michigan, along with stuff that people unloaded on me: amythests, the requisite petrified wood, tiger’s eyes, other kinds of quartz, pumice, obsidian, Pele’s tears, etc. My aunt drove an ambulance in Oregon during the time of the Mount St. Helen’s eruption and gave us vials of the ash. People who lived there during that time always ask me, “What for?”

Look, we don’t have any volcanoes in Minnesota, okay? No mountains (I don’t care what the local ski merchants tell people), just “bluffs.” (Yeah, they’re named appropriately.) No meteor craters, no faults (although there is some seismic activity, but barely enough to stir your coffee with), nada. I still have that ash, along with all those rocks.

I was a weird kid.

April 25, 2007 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home