FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Monday, May 07, 2007

I'm Off to the Galapagos Islands!

Well, here it is.

I always feel that a planned trip becomes real for me when I have to wet my hand and rub it all over by day pack to get rid of all the long black fur from my cat Twyla, who loves my day pack.

Paul Kurtz e-mailed us to say that, due to his heart surgery in March, he cannot make the trip. That's not a surprise, but it is too bad. Richard Dawkins is still coming, of course.

On this trip, as on every trip, I'm taking too many books. I'm taking the requisite Origin of Species, of course, and Galapagos, A Natural History, as well as How Brains Make Up Their Minds by Walter J. Freeman, so that I can finally answer Crandaddy's questions, and The Extended Phenotype, by Dawkins. I'll finally get to finish it.

Oh, and I received two A's this semester! Woot! I was sweating it, because getting an A and a B last time put me right at the edge of the requirement.

I don't expect to be able to blog and check e-mail while down there so be good, all of you. Good like me, that is!

Whatever that means!

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

Jealousy! Bon voyage and safe trip!

May 07, 2007 10:55 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Thank ya, dearie.

May 08, 2007 4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exciting! And congratulations.

Bring me back a tortoise?

May 08, 2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger Crandaddy said...

Bon Voyage, Kristine! I hope you have a wonderful time! And congratulations on your grades!!!

I look forward to hearing from you on Freeman's ideas, BTW.

May 08, 2007 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristine,

Jealousy is but a kinder gentler incarnation of the glowering envy pervading me at this very moment - it's not easy being green. Of course, it is all your gloating goading the glowering, so you must perform three acts of atonement.

1. You must allow the sheer joy and delight of the experience to permanently seep into every pore.

2. You must absorb boatloads of bloggity blogs to share with your minions of Amused-Muse muse-mongers.

3. You must secure from Richard Dawkins the following post: Charles Simonyi Belly Dancer Bohemian for the Public Understanding of Science, working from offices in the upper mid-west surreality of the US.

Further, while it's not a formal act of atonement, common courtesy permits us to expect that you will dispense with "rubbing it in," "nyuck, nyuck, nyuck, nyuck," and "Remember my trip to the Galapagos, with Richard Dawkins in May..." before year's end.

As my green pales, Kristine, I hope your trip affords you a lifetime of warm memories, and I congratulate you on your academic achievements.

May 08, 2007 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By any chance is your ship the HMS Beagle?
Scotius

May 09, 2007 12:09 PM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

good luck - just be careful of those tortises!

May 10, 2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Bring me back a tortoise?

Okay if it weighs 500 pounds?

I look forward to hearing from you on Freeman's ideas, BTW.


Oh, dear, that´s a rebuke isn´t it? Okay I swear I´ll look at his site more when I get back.

These keyboards down here are all differente! No esta bien! Arg!

By any chance is your ship the HMS Beagle?


Thanks Russ. Scotius, I was hoping for the Beagle, but I´m on the MV Santa Cruz.

Rev. Barky, I have a new boyfriend, his name is Snapper!
;-)

May 11, 2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Oh sorry Crandaddy, I just realized you weren´t talking about your professor with the website, but the author of the book I´m (supposed to be) reading. You know what? I´m a little muddled - been sitting in the jaccuzi too long and not thinking straight.

I gotta tell you I´m not getting much reading done.

May 12, 2007 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

May 12, 2007 8:41 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I sat in the jacuuzi again tonight, after my first time snorkeling! I sit in the jaccuzi for the intellectual discussions.

Yeah, that´s it.
;-)

May 12, 2007 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home