FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Thursday, September 28, 2006

I'm a Woman on a Mission!

Not to sound like JAD, but I have another paper to write, this time on issues of Information Science.

I have to summarize the issues raised in articles in the Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST). Now, this is fun stuff, people!

Here's a sampling of the articles:

article: Introduction to Bioinformatics

Bioinformatics is a multifaceted discipline combining many scientific fields including computational biology, statistics, mathematics, molecular biology, and genetics. Bioinformatics enables biomedical investigators to exploit existing and emerging computational technologies to seamlessly store, mine, retrieve, and analyze data from genomics an proteomics technologies.

article: Relying on Electronic Journals: Reading Patterns of Astronomers

article: Genescene: An Ontology-Enhanced Integration of Linguistic and Co-Occurrence Based Relations in Biomedical Texts

The increasing amount of publicly available lit and experimental data in biomedicine makes it hard for biomedical researchers to stay up-to-date. Genescene is a toolkit that will help alleviate this problem by providing an overview of published literature content.

article: Integrated Bioinformatics Application for Automated Target Discovery

In this article we present an in silico method that automatically assigns putative functions to DNA sequences.

See what I mean? Doesn't it sound like fun? Wish me luck! (My weekend is shot.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

I'll be thinking about your paper while I watch football and consume multiple adult beverages. :)

September 29, 2006 7:49 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Play for me! (My new pet phrase.)

I intend to reward my goodie-goodieness by consuming mass quantities, myself.

September 29, 2006 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In silico"??? Does that mean what I think it means? Are you going to start talking like that?

October 01, 2006 12:57 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Yeah, I was a little weirded out by that, too. But it really means "by computer simulation." So, tut tut on whatever you were thinking.

To counteract all this new techno-speak in my life I've been borrowing Shakespearean plays to watch at midnight after my day-long stint in the St. Catherine library. The incomparable Claire Bloom! "Nymph, in thine orisons be all my" research remembered! So, never fear, there will always be a part of me that says, "Throw physic to the dogs, I'll none of it" and quaff a beer.

By the way--I did not think that any other production of Hamlet could make love it as much as I do the Oliver version, but this one is phenomenal! Patrick Stewart, Claire Bloom, Lalla Ward, and Derek Jacobi--holy shit, what a performance by Jacobi as Hamlet! (Don't pay any attention to the bad reviews for Ward, I can't imagine what people are thinking. I rewound her scenes with Jacobi and watched them again, I was so impressed.) If you haven't seen it, watch the Oliver version first, then check out Jacobi's idiosyncratic interpretation. Stunning.

October 01, 2006 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home