FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Republicans Choose Twin Cities

for the 2008 Republican presidential convention.

Oh, goodie gumdrops.

UPDATED: Well, let's look on the bright side: at least I won't have to ride a day-and-a-half bus ride to the protest in 2008--more like a 45-minute bus ride. (Yes, I rode that bus with the Anti-War Committee all the way from Minnesota to New York City in 2004, to protest the Republican National Convention. I had a good time, met great people, did something I believed in--but that bus ride! Christ, I'm too old for that shit--never again!)

BTW, if you were watching that protest on TV two years ago, I was there the first day (Sunday), and my group was right behind the dragon (though we had pulled way in front of it before it was burned).

Some defeatists at Pharyngula are pissing me off saying things like, "Where are the Republican handlers going to let you protest? Eden Prairie, Hopkins?" The Republican handlers are not going to "let" me protest! Fuck them and their cyclone fencing. The Republicans and the city of New York didn't "let" us gather in Central Park in '04, and we did anyway. The Anti-War Committee is committed to getting people in, having a peaceful protest, and getting people safely out again. Yes, things got dicey afterward--that's why this is important. Do you really think that, if we let them "let" us do things, they won't come up with longer and longer lists of things that they will "let" us do?

Get used to seeing cyclone fencing--around your ass--if you behave according to how the Republican hired thugs "let" you behave.

Oh, and here's another protest in St. Paul, against the Stand Up for Theocracy crowd. (I cannot attend, regrettably.)

3 Comments:

Blogger breakerslion said...

On three...One...Two...Three

CON-TROLLLLL FFFRRRREEEAKS!

About a million years ago, I was a student at Rutgers U. There was a group of students that were protesting the University's holdings in Coca-Cola, because of Apartheid (I couldn't make this up). They were kicked off the Dean's manicured lawn, and "allowed" to protest at the Student Center. After about three days of stepping over bodies in sleeping bags to get to the shuttle bus, I lost it. I told everyone in earshot what assholes they were, and that they were only inconveniencing other students. I told them that the Dean was laughing his ass off, and that if they weren't willing to get arrested, they were gutless protestors. I also told them that if they wanted anyone on the Board of Directors to give a shit, they should ask to transfer to another college.

Never protest where you are "allowed" to protest. Don't let them create reality. Either the streets are a public place, or they never will be again.

September 28, 2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Either the streets are a public place, or they never will be again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! My point exactly.

I remember anti-Apartheid protests. I remember kids drinking Coca-Cola while protesting, well, Coke. That "Ain't Gonna Play Sun City" song was the ultimate in bogus. Naturally I was against Apartheid, but it was destroyed by its victims.

September 28, 2006 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Oh, and here's another protest in St. Paul, against the Stand Up for Theocracy crowd. (I cannot attend, regrettably.)"

Yeah... that Jim Dobson is a real problem. Encouraging families to be nice to each other and to stick together - to pray together. OOOO... scary! After all, if the family stays together and stays strong, then the Democrats will not have as many people depending on the Democrats. Then they'll lose their power. What a tragedy that would be!

And oh yeah... let's make sure that we keep the murder of unborn people legal in this country. What would America be without the right to have our own holocaust?

October 02, 2006 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home