FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Okay, Back to Serious Stuff

I'm spending too much time with that juvenile LOLcats. Well, I'm middle-aged, what do you expect? I need laughs in my decrepitude - especially considering how decrepit my sense of humor is, anyway.

I'm still reading The Extended Phenotype. By my bones, I had another weird dream about it. (I've been having lots of weird dreams, such as Christopher Hitchens not liking my photos of the trip, me finding albatross eggs in my work desk, etc.) And it's becoming more and more difficult to summarize a text that is written with such economy and clarity - you may as well try to summarize poetry! ;-) I'm working on it, though.

Plus I've had an idea for a scholarly paper that I want to submit to one of the library journals. And you know what that means: I've put it off this long, but I cannot delay or deny it any longer. Yes. STATISTICS! What fun!

Actually, it is quite fun. That and calculus I am determined to conquer. (And The Extended Phenotype. And getting my fiction published.)

How are you spending your summer?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

Switching jobs and doing a lot of traveling to visit friends scattered about the country.

May 30, 2007 10:30 PM  
Blogger Sargeist said...

Currently trying to work out what is entailed by wanting to get married; trying to elarn too many programming languages; trying to get some novels read...

Lots of trying.

May 31, 2007 3:00 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

My goodness, we're all busy little bees. All the best in your travels, Joshua, and with your upcoming wedding, Sargeist!

May 31, 2007 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That and calculus I am determined to conquer.

Calculus is a deeply, deeply beautiful thing, and I found it so even when I didn't do so well (had to retake a semester, once... more a consequence of terribly attendance all 'round than actual interest in that subject specifically).

(As to getting fiction published, that I found a far less rewarding enterprise. Dental surgery sans anaesthesia appeals almost as much... But I never was much of a salesman... Someday, I must get back on that horse, too, I guess... I salute your enterprise, all the same.)

June 01, 2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Thanks, AJ. I too find calculus to be beautiful - the chain rule is elegant. I've made it through differential calc, but my statistics book is weaving in integral calc, which I haven't learned yet.

But I'm screwing up logarithms, so I need to review trig. *Sigh* Kind of hard to differentiate log functions otherwise, huh?

I'm working on cutting my first novel into three smaller, continuous novels. Plus, I'm writing a second novel - have been for a few years - that turns everything people think about alien abductions on its head and deals with deep science issues such as epidemiology, evolution, space travel, agriculture, relations between humans of different species, religious wars, everything.

It will be my magnum opus! People will read it and they will understand! ;-) Yeah, right.

And I need to get to that Eliot Park dig.

Man, and I was thinking about getting a second job this summer. I may still do it - it would really help.

June 01, 2007 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home