FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Reviews and Research by Yours Truly

I had no idea these were still online, in violation of Tasini v. United States (that's okay!). Damn lawyers!

You need to sign in to look at them. Most of my stuff is not online. (Damn lawyers!)

My review of While I Was Gone by Sue Miller.
Review of Cassanova In Love by Andrew Miller (no relation).

The best book I ever reviewed was the exquisite The Underpainter by Ann Urquhart. Reviewing The Evolution of Jane by Cathleen Schine was perhaps what piqued my interest in the Galapagos, aside from The Voyage of the Beagle by Darwin himself.

Prospect Park, An Historical Survey, done for Hess, Roise and Company back when I was in historic preservation. I also assisted on a a survey of historic properties in the Lake Minnetonka area, and gathered archaeological data on the excavation of the Mill Ruins (neither of them posted online), years before I was to volunteer there.

Everyone should Google him or herself every once in a while.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cat's Staff said...

Do you mean New York Times Co. v. Tasini.

November 20, 2007 6:29 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Yeah, I do. Thanks.

I regret that class action suit, I tell ya. The writers got paid zilch - all our articles just got yanked from online distribution.

Best intentions, gone awry. Bleh.

November 20, 2007 9:14 PM  
Blogger muse said...

I thought While I was Gone was one of the most powerful books I have ever read, but I gave it to a friend of mine and she hated reading every minute of it. But...she finished it-

November 28, 2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Hi, Muse.

I read many reviews on Amazon that called this book "boring." I didn't think it was, but it became tedious toward the end, when Jo starts rationalizing her meeting with her former roommate and starts dropping all these abstractions.

I appreciated the book largely because I found Jo unsympathetic - she was so naive, elitist, intrigued by really being a waitress (whoopee-ding-dong, that's how I got through college) and seeing an actual bar fight (yeah, those are fun, if you're rich and bored, not 17, blue collar, and scared shitless). I thought Miller did a good job of creating Jo, whose character explains her choices to go to this secret meeting and contemplate sex with this not-stranger, until Miller seemed to meld with Jo and make excuses for her. I don't like lit that pulls its punches.

November 28, 2007 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home