FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Friday, April 07, 2006

The Only Thing "Piddling" is Michael Behe...

...all over himself, and in the New York Times ("Study, in a First, Explains Evolution's Molecular Advance").

Dr. Behe described the results as "piddling." He wondered whether the receptors with the intermediate mutations would be harmful to the survival of the organisms and said a two-component hormone-receptor pair was too simple to be considered irreducibly complex.

If this guy is a scientist then I'm Virginia Woolf. Hello, torts fans! The real story is elegance, not "complexity!"

Intelligent Design is dead. But was it ever alive, really?

6 Comments:

Blogger Doctor Marco said...

ID very alive in the minds of the superstitious

April 08, 2006 4:15 AM  
Blogger The Science Pundit said...

Kristine,

The line that really jumped out at me from his rebutal of this study (which I commented on in PZ's blog) was

"The authors (including Christoph Adami in his commentary) are conveniently defining “irreducible complexity” way, way down. I certainly would not classify their system as IC."

Wow! From the man who conveniently defines "scientific theory" way, way down.

ps--I know you're a big Dawkins fan (I bumbled like an idiot the time I got to talk to him on a call-in show), so have you seen the latest post on THE ATHEIST JEW?

He's got a couple of links to some clips from The Root of All Evil.

April 08, 2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Yeah, that quote caught my eye, too. These guys are just bound and determined to march on to Stalingrad.

Big Dawkins fan--gee, what gave you that idea? ;-) I adore the man. I'll probably never meet him because I wouldn't want to bore him with the uninformed blather that would come out of my mouth.

I now have a link to the whole show of "Root on All Evil?" on my site; if you have broadband you can watch it. (I managed to see the whole show at some lady's geodesic dome home in town here!)

April 09, 2006 12:37 AM  
Blogger Doctor Marco said...

Thanks for the link. i am watching it right now. You are so cool!! I am happy as a baby

April 10, 2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I can't find the second half, Marco, so maybe it's not there. Sorry. My bad.

April 11, 2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger breakerslion said...

I was going to leave you a link to my rant on Irreducible Stupidity in my blog archive and, as the Rhode Islanders say, "There it was - Gone!" Since I don't believe in higher powers, I'll just say you've been spared. I think I can boil it down to one run-on sentence. If someone gives you an incomplete picture of the invention process of, say, a mousetrap, they are essentially building a box, demanding that you think inside it, and then chortling, "Ha! You're in a box!"

The mousetrap reduces to one well-aimed and thrown rock.

April 13, 2006 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home