FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Wednesday, August 09, 2006

30 Days: Atheist/Christian

UPDATED: Slain preacher’s wife to get out on bond! WTF?

Oh, yeah--this is what Iran needs, more sheep!
-------
Tonight I only caught the tail end of this intriguing episode of Morgan Spurlock's television show 30 Days, in which an atheist lived with a Christian family for 30 days. It looks like there was a lot of good communication and understanding between the guest and her Christian hosts, and a minimizing of stereotypes. I understand that 30 Days will air a marathon of its shows this Saturday; I'll check local listings to see if "Atheist/Christian" will air so that I can write a recap of the show.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zeteo Eurisko said...

I saw the whole thing! Very good, very even-handed. The wife in the Christian family seemed to make some positive progress through observations that the atheist woman was moral, a good mother, and non-evil -- all apart from God belief. The husband, however, seemed only to be able to say such things as, "I don't understand... what DO you believe in... you don't believe in God, but do you believe in ANYTHING supernatural?... wow... I don't get it..." He sort of bumbled his way through without much mind-opening progress. My only complaint is that it did not get more philosophical. But in a show focused on the human story of how we interact with and perceive others, it was well worth my time.

August 10, 2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I caught that about the father in the last ten minutes: “Well, if you aren’t teaching your child about God, WHAT ARE you teaching YOUR CHILDREN?” D’oh! He was irritating, all right.

However, I hope that the whole thing is shown this Saturday—if it is, I’ll tape it. It would make a great double-feature with “Root of All Evil?” that I’m planning to have.

August 10, 2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger Zeteo Eurisko said...

Where did you get "The Root of All Evil?"? I've only ever seen it on google video. BTW, you should check out the Infidel Guy's recent interview with Dawkins. They discuss "The Root of All Evil?" a bit. It's free in the PodCast Alley feature on IG's homepage, infidelguy.com.

August 12, 2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Hey, thanks, zeteo!

I got my DVD from www.evolvefish.com, but when I checked that website just now, I couldn't find it again.

You know what? I spent all day today getting in two garden beds of green beans, and forgot to check for Spurlock's show. Damn this nice weather, anyway! ;-)

August 12, 2006 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home