FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Nominate the latest Kansas "Science" Standards...

...for this prestigious award, which everybody, except for apparently those wacky windbags at UD, has heard of. (What, where have these guys been? And should they be laughing? Shouldn't they be writing comments to their own posts griping, "It's not funny!" etc.?)

UPDATED: Heh, heh, at least one uncommontator at UD saw through it: “There is an irony (unless I’m mistaken) here Crandaddy, that the latest book published by the Darwin award founder seems to be angled at mocking ID.” Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

For my part, I didn’t mean to imply that the folks at UD have never heard of the Darwin Awards, but The Darwin Awards 4: Intelligent Design has been coming down the pike for a while. Of course it mocks I.D.!

5 Comments:

Blogger PiGuy said...

It seems that the fundies are actually passing along their genes at a pretty good clip. They seem, anecdotally, to tend toward larger families. Coupled with the compulsory brainwashing, the kiddies will be at least as formidable a force in promoting ID. Unfortunately, having an unreasonable belief isn't quite as drastic as trying to weld a grenade to a chain so they just keep on making new ones.

August 03, 2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Oh yes, the fundies are reproducing at an accelerated rate. However, one does not inherit one’s outlook on life strictly from the genes of one’s parents but from upbringing, as I’m sure you’ll agree, and I don’t begrudge people having a lot of kids if they can afford to (I myself have none, although I support two sponsor children). I care about Dembski’s kids and Behe’s kids, of course, and wish them well. What is important is to create a world for other people’s children so that they have the knowledge that they need to truly live, rather than just survive until the Rapture, or whatever. The Darwin Awards are a joke and I enjoy them, but seriously, if personality were strictly inherited, dingleberry ways of killing oneself unintentionally would have reached an evolutionary dead end long ago.

I just thought it hilarious that this guy was so ecstatic over I.D. being mentioned so prominently, when it doesn’t help I.D.’s cause at all.

August 03, 2006 1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, wait a minute. The good people of Kansas voted out that school board and the standards are going!

Where are the headlines on THAT?

Or is this just about smearing Kansas, like the bigots you are?

And where are all those jobs that were supposed to be here if the standards didn't go?

When will those jobs be here?

That wasn't just another dirty campaing line on your sides part was it?

Concerned people want to know!

August 09, 2006 5:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nonny, it's not supposed to be massively newsworthy when people use their brains for something other than thinking up new ways to prevent people from using their brains.

August 09, 2006 5:19 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Anon, Christ! Calm down!

I smeared the stupid Kansas standards (not to mention that stupid dimwit at UD), not Kansas itself. I think I've been cheering Kansans on at Pharyngula and Red State Rabble.

Actually, the people of Kansas haven't voted out the school board or the standards yet. This was a primary. Okay? A Republican primary at that. Yes? And it was not a clean sweep of the cobwebs, either.

Why are you asking me about jobs? Big generator of wealth that I am [note please; irony!], I can hardly answer that; be glad that more jobs haven't fled the state, first.

I have nothing against Kansas itself. I'd love to visit. Especially to see Eugenie Scott, Judge Jones, and Richard Dawkins speak there, as they will later this year. But I cannot go. Dang!

August 09, 2006 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home