FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Friday, June 09, 2006

My Reply to Ann Coulter

There are many parents--far too many parents, now--in the United States who have lost a son or daughter to the Iraq War. If because of their conservative/Republican leanings these mothers and fathers see their children as symbols of courage in the face of a war worth waging, that is their right. Symbols of courage their children indeed are--I would take that as an objective statement of fact--even though I do not agree with them about the cost of or the motivations for this stinking war.

I think that the Iraq War is a hideous, greed-inspired, and criminal fraud perpetrated on the American people and upon those who willingly went to serve in Iraq, but I would never question the motivation of any parent who, as Coulter states in her comments regarding some 9-11 widows, "used their personal tragedy" to advance their views. They have a right to their personal tragedy and to their views.

I just wish that their views were right. I don't think they are.

Anyone who sincerely believes that waging this war in Iraq is the right thing to do (and I don't know how they can believe that) is still a decent American who has my respect and sympathy for his/her loss, and is someone that I believe deserves a much better spokesperson than Ann Coulter. Ms. Coulter also has a right to her views, but she cannot see that she is, in her bellicose hysteria, never right.

I must say that, whatever she may think of the "pleasure" we liberals allegedly take in being "victims," I personally take no pleasure in seeing a human being psychologically decline in this manner. I have seen this bitter, righteous, shrieking spiral into psychosis before. If anyone is a victim, it is Ann Coulter, of herself.

Ann, since you call yourself a Christian, I call myself proud to be godless.

In a way, I am grateful to Ann Coulter! I was not willing to draw the creationism vs. evolutionary theory line in the sand as also being a line between liberals and conservatives, but now she did it. She drew that line between science and superstition as a line also between liberals and conservatives, nonbelievers and believers. Good. Let's have it out, then, Ann Coulter. It's on.

I'll just sit back and watch the conservatives and the believers desert her side for my godless side. It's inevitable, now. Maybe it won't happen tomorrow, but it will happen, because eventually Americans will recognize that science is the only way, truth, and light for this nation's future, and that my positive lack of religion is far more spiritual and optimistic than Coulter's sad nihilism.

2 Comments:

Blogger PiGuy said...

I'm sorry that I didn't catch it last week. I've read your comments over at RSR - insightful and humorous - and finally got around to checking out your site. Your response to Coulter is dead-on! Keep up the good work.

June 16, 2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Thanks for stopping by, PiGuy!

June 19, 2006 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home