FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Join the War Against Jesus Day…

…or make that Jes’s Day. All that’s missing is U! (Cute, huh?)

This reminds me of how the victims of famine are consumed by thoughts of food. What can we say about those who are consumed by thoughts of Jesus every flipping minute? Jesus at school, Jesus at work, Jesus in a knot in a tree, Jesus in the woodwork, Jesus in the chipped beef on toast, Jesus as one’s personal trainer, Jesus morning, noon, and night. Enough already!

Humans may actually be preventing new species from evolving. If we can protect the “unborn,” what about protecting the “unevolved?”

UPDATED: Regarding Michael Behe's assertion that we "always recognize design," you'll never, ever guess what the most popular answer is to the question, "How did Mount Rushmore form?" You'll never guess!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you believe that Jesus existed? Or do you think he was made up by a religious cult?

Jus wondering...

May 26, 2006 6:50 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Oh, Anon, if you're the same person as before you’re going to get all upset again. Okay, here goes—I do not believe that Jesus was “made up by a cult.” I am not a conspiracy theorist. Religions are almost always popular movements. The records for Jesus existing are skant, except for, of course, the Gospels (all of them, not just the fab four), which present us with a mosaic of what could be several men rather than mutually corroborative accounts of one. (Moreover, there’s no evidence at all that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and fathered a line of French kings.) It’s like asking if Osiris existed—there may have been a king with that name, there may have been several.

The point is, a popular religion grew up around his personality all by itself, organically, flourished for a while, then declined. Christians likewise worship Jesus as God. I do not; I don’t believe in surrendering my consciousness to any other personality, and I don’t want any religion pushed on me at school or at work, hence my joke about the “war on Jesus Day” (get the double entendre?). Moreover, it seems to me that worshipping Jesus has little to do with practicing what He preached on the Sermon on the Mount—and a Christian writing in the Star Tribune made the very good point that for four centuries, Christians called themselves “followers of” rather than “worshippers of” Jesus for this very reason.

May 26, 2006 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have at least two Anons.

I thought you said you were brought up in a fundamentalist home. At one time did you consider yourself a christian? IF so, what changed your mind?

May 26, 2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I don’t know that I was brought up in a fundamentalist home; I was brought up Lutheran, but my father was pretty much a fundamentalist—watched Pat Robertson, listened to religious radio a lot, believed in a 6-day creation, believed that the Bible was inerrant and did not contradict itself, that kind of thing. My mother is more liberal, but our family is still pretty religious compared to everyone else that I know. I guess when you’re nine years old, you believe that you are whatever you are told that you are, but around nine, I figured out that I didn’t buy into Christianity. So no, I would not say that I ever truly considered myself a Christian. I didn’t “change my mind,” I just decided to be who I already was, though I did try, until I was eighteen, to be the Christian that my family wanted me to be.

So, what about you?

May 26, 2006 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home