FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Monday, September 04, 2006

Why Remake "The Wicker Man"?

UPDATED: More on the original.

Why? Why? Why?

What is this illness in America (I assume it's an American thing) in which current generations cannot relate to an older film? Remake Psycho, remake The Pink Panther--why not remake Freaks while you're at it? (Oh. Reality television. Same thing--right down to the beautiful people being the real weirdos. Got it.)

Here's an interesting history on the making of the original version.

7 Comments:

Blogger PiGuy said...

I've been saying the exact same thing! Have they run out of ideas or something?

September 05, 2006 6:13 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

They have ideas by committee. They have marketing ideas, that is. Perhaps it's cheaper to take a risk on remaking something than betting the double-wide on a new film flop like Far and Away. I have no clue why they would remake this film.

September 05, 2006 8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still pissed about the remake of The Omen from last spring. Come on, Julia Stiles? WTF were they thinking?

I've got the original Wicker Man on my Blockbuster list. I'm not actually all that torn up about this remake, since I've come to appreciate Nick Cage quite a bit over the past decade or so.

But yeah, far too many remakes these days. Hollywood has never been able to sustain much originality for any appreciable amount of time, but it's almost like they've just stopped trying.

September 05, 2006 4:10 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

What’s so great about the original is that Edward Woodward (who’s also in Breaker Morant) plays such a Christian pissant, so straight-laced at the beginning and even hateful (yet if I were a kidnapped child I’d want him on my side—he’s a good cop), whose facade begins to crack. He pants after Britt Ekland (the scene where she tempts him is so heart-breaking) and, while barging into people’s houses to look for the girl, he even starts to show interest in their bizarre rituals and costumes (“What’s that? And what’s that for?”). Is the remake going to show such a complex character analysis?

And there’s an evil librarian, too. Kind of like me.

I’m glad people are still speaking to me. [Chewing humble pie…]

September 05, 2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

But oh yeah, I love Nick Cage, too.

Maybe he can carry this film.

September 05, 2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And there’s an evil librarian, too. Kind of like me.

OK, but are you a ninja librarian?

Or even better, a ninja pirate librarian.

September 06, 2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Now, there’s a thought—gotta get belly dancing in there somewhere. (Actually, I’m just a librarian-in-training.) I’m not into the ninja thing, but pirates! Yes! And secret agents.

So how about:

Pirate librarian belly-dancer and bohemian secret agent scribe. In training.
Who rescues bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the Girl Fridays of the world.

September 06, 2006 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home