FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Maybe I Can Attend a Dawkins Lecture After All

Okay, PiGuy, you're going to get asked about this, I bet...

Teleportation breakthrough.

2 Comments:

Blogger PiGuy said...

That's definitely cool.

The really, really deep question about teleportation: is the entity the at the end the same as the one at the start? The reason that they've only moved small, non-living things so far is that, essentially, what is transmitted from point A to point B is the information necessary to replicate the start entity at the other end (the matter, I believe, already has to be there). For a sentient being, there are parts of one's being that may not be adequately captured in the information that instructs the matter how to reassemble. Michael Chrichton's Timequake (storyline: an entrepeneur plans to open a History Theme Park where the customers travel to the actual period in time and location in space via a time-space portal) considers what happens if there are even just a minute number of copy errors at the reassemble end of the process. It isn't pretty. And you thought that your hair looked bad in the morning...

But, ideally, it would be very cool to just be done with carbon based fuels and traffic jams and simply step into the portal at 7:57 and be at my desk by 8:00. Just think of impact on time, energy, pollution, and strees!

October 08, 2006 5:32 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

It's cool, but I've thought about this, too...

About my experience of me being "me," and whether or not this would survive the teleportation process. Even if every single molecule were successfully teleported and recombined with every single other one, would the "I," that experiences the overwhelming coincidence of being me, survive? Or would another person exist, going on, having my memories and essentially being "me," except that I will have ended?

No wonder Dr. McCoy had such a problem with the teleporter!

October 08, 2006 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home