FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Thursday, February 01, 2007

Europe's First Stegosaurus Found

Story here.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't this guy get killed in Walt Disney's "Fantasia" in 1940?
Scotius the Heretic

February 02, 2007 1:01 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

You know, I was thinking about that movie recently. I'd like to see it again. All I can remember about the dinosaurs was them staggering through a desert and collapsing. It really made an impression on me (and isn't the music Stravinsky?).

February 02, 2007 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the music is Igor Stravinsky's "Rites of Spring." The premier of this composition, in 1913, provoked a riot.
I saw the rerelease in 1956 as a young teenager. At that time , the Big Scrap between T. Rex and the stegosaurus was what I liked besr about the film. Steggy got scragged, but not without getting in his licks. After subsequent viewings in later years, I gained a better appreciation, what with being more mature and all.
Original plans for the dinosaur sequence intended for it to carry forward to the rise of man and the discovery of fire. These were abandoned to avoid controversy with fundamentalist groups. Stavinsky wasn't happy with the Disney rendition of his work.
Much of this I just now googled.
S the H

February 03, 2007 12:55 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

We're not allowed to Google at all in my reference class. It's astonishing how reliant I have become on it, I, who used to curl up on the couch and read the Encyclopædia Britannica like it was a romance novel! I just spent my whole weekend at the library and OH MY ACHING HEAD! ;-)

February 05, 2007 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home