FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Lunar Eclipse

I poked my head out just briefly last night (the best nights for viewing are the cold ones), but others were more intreped and got some shots.

Wesley Elsberry did, Nomad at AtBC did, and people are posting theirs at the Bad Astronomy/Universe Today forum.

Note: Don't use a flash when trying to photograph a lunar eclipse!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flash thing was a riot. I have no idea what she thought she was going to illuminate with that thing.

February 21, 2008 8:12 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Well, even if it would work to use a flash for the moon - she was taking a picture of a shadow! Right? :-D

So many things wrong there.

Thanks for the heads-up about BAUT - I registered. Just in the nick of time, because I'm going to let my Astronomy subscription lapse. (I never win the free telescope! And despite all my noise about building my own, I think I'll just get a good binocular and call it a day.)

February 22, 2008 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly.

A. The moon is kinda on the far away side, I'm pretty sure the flash won't reach that far.

B. The moon is kinda on the big side, I'm pretty sure the flash wouldn't illuminate the whole thing even if you had the super frickin' shark laser flash.

C. She's trying to take a picture of a shadow, so even if the super fricken' shark laser flash reaches, and it illuminates the entire moon, um... it sort of misses the point of an eclipse.

So what the heck was she trying to illuminate?

Beats me, but it was funny as all get out. I can't imagine anyone going about astrophotography any more wrong-headed than that. I don't think I could do it more wrong on purpose!

And you're welcome about the BAUT forum. It's a cool place, I'm glad I could point you there.

I'd like to have a big honkin' telescope, but right now I've settled for 10 x 50 binos myself.

February 23, 2008 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home