FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I’m Sorry About Steve Irwin

UPDATED: A commentor brought up the fact that I mentioned Timothy Treadwell, too. I just want to say that my opinion of him was not based solely on Werner Herzog's film, which definitely deserves some criticism for its slant. (Herzog has his own issues regarding nature and the United States, and I don't agree with his particular take, although I remain an admirer of his work.) I am aware that Treadwell spent the greater part of the year going to schools and teaching, not "chained to bears," which is why I mentioned him at all. He was not just a "hippie," and I know he didn't make much money from his endeavors. (And he was killed by a rogue bear later in the season than he normally stayed in Alaska.)

In my childhood I was fond of catching nonpoisonous snakes (I used to scare the other girls--such charm I had), so I know a little about handling them; plus I really like snakes. I do remember that "10 Most Poisonous Snakes" episode! I turned it off. Of course I had to believe that Irwin knew what he was doing but I really don't need even the impression of danger to liven things up. Having been charged by a black bear as a young girl (age 7 or 8, I think) I have very mixed feelings about Treadwell, too. I won't deny that both had courage, at least.
----
Truly. Very, very sorry.

I have dial-up (and a headache!) so if my post illogically crosses someone else’s that’s probably why. I'm just saying. Because I don’t want to continue this discussion over at poor PZ’s site.

Things got weird fast and I’m terribly sorry for my part in it. No, I did not sleep well. I feel perfectly awful about it.

Spare PZ and the others and have off-topic brainfahrts about something I’ve said that pisses you off here, okay? Or start your own blog.

Emotions are running high about Irwin’s death and naturally I was horrified at the news. I cannot say that I was surprised; however, people have made it clear to me that his death was a freak accident rather than the result of reckless behavior and I understand that now.

If anyone was reckless it was me, and while I appreciate people trying to defend me, perhaps I don’t deserve defending and it’s time to drop it. (But nor do I deserve someone scaring the living hell out of me.) I will listen to reason.

And reason is what we’re all interested in, right?

UPDATED: And peace, Truth Machine, wherever you are.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristine said...

And that includes me. It would seem that I got stabbed in the heart (or at least where my heart ought to be) by my own barbed tongue. I’ve learned a lesson.

Thank you, PZ.

September 05, 2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger PiGuy said...

You expressed your opinion. You're entitled - that's what blogging's all about. And people have strong feelings one way or the other about Croc Hunter so it's not so surprising. It's not exactly evolution vs ID or bloods and crips, but strong nonetheless.

I've read TM's comments other places (mostly at Sci Blogs) and I'm not so sure that his version of truth is very, well, true. And I like your vision of god (if he were there) and, more generally, your whole world view. (You've even made me fell guilty about about owning a car - I hope that you won't hold my driving against me!)

Mostly, it says something about you that you'd take the high road. I haven't found that the Truth Meister does that so often. You do a good thing here and, I suspect, offline as well. Rest up and go get 'em tomorrow!

September 05, 2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Pi Guy, don’t feel guilty about driving a car. Buses aren’t that righteous. (Neither are planes.) Besides, PZ drives for hours just to come to the Cities, and I would never tell him to stay home!

I expressed an idiotic opinion and I'm willing to let bygones be bygones with TM. But I just don't know who scours the Net at three in the morning! I do have a job. :)

Not much of a TV watcher either, so no, I never gave Irwin's show much of a chance (as Jason pointed out, rationally, for a change); I never took much away from his show except the sound of his voice. I prefer Attenborough, I'm a snob, and rather a snot (I think John Davison is ready to turn me over his knee). I wish Dembski would get this mad at me--which is pretty weird, too!

September 05, 2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

I guess I've missed some intrigue somewhere - I haven't blogged all summer afterall. I have two observations about Irwin:

1. His popularity was derived from Paul Hogan's legacy (who's character was based on a real life "Dundee")

2. He was an extreme risk taker. This is a common symptom of anuntreated Mania. In a way, he may have been a victim of morbid voyuerism.

I am afraid the media is once again turning towards dogged sensationalism and there is no god to save us from it.

September 05, 2006 2:02 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Hey! It’s good to hear from you, Rev. Barking Nonsequitor! I visited you recently and noticed that you had not been updating.

You didn’t miss anything, believe me—just me shooting off my big mouth (but not alone!).

Regarding my crack about Dembski—if his little girl has been crying about Irwin then I submit to whatever ass-kicking I deserve, and I will say no more on the matter. That poor guy, Irwin. I’m scared of water, so I should know better.

There was no god to save him, either.

September 05, 2006 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home