FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"More Like Wrestlers"

Neanderthals survived longer than previously thought.

I always feel a sense of loss when thinking about Homo neanderthalensis, or Homo erectus, or Homo habilis (for whom I've always have a particular affection).

At least it's looking more and more like Homo sapiens didn't simply kill off the other, now extinct species of humans. I was rather skeptical of that theory.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The question has always fascinated me, too, in an "alt.history.what-if" kind of way.

How would things be different if we were made up of two biologically distinct yet still quite similar species, both sapient? It's a mystery.

September 14, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Aren't we still, though? I mean, Dawkins points out that, depending upon which section of the genome that we look at, we're only "x percent human." We must still have Homo erectus sequences, if we could only isolate them. How I wish we could extract DNA from fossil remains, but...

At any rate, when I get time to write fiction again, I'm exploring the idea that a line of descendants from Homo habilis managed to survive and evolve. Got a soft spot in my heart for them, I do.

September 15, 2006 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home