FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Monday, July 16, 2007

Evolution: The Animated Short

My sweetie, in response to my pleas, has just completed his latest animated short, based upon a funny song by the talented Marla Goodman. And what did I do? I, in my senility and YWCA-induced exercise ecstacy/tanning-and-tequila stupor forgot to post it!

Well, I dare anyone to resist this charmer. It will warm the cockles of the heart of the most devoted creationist.

I must admit that there are times when I get a creepy sense of direction in evolution. I had it when I first read a piece by Jonathan Wells about intelligent design and cancer. PZ Myers took care of that one, but there have been other times. Such a perception always disintegrated upon closer inspection - until John told me about this video idea. As I learned in the Galapagos, most evolution is avoidance of a conflict rather than hooves crashing and horns tangling and blood flowing. So what if evolution does have a direction and a purpose, if not toward a distant goal, then away from something else?

What what could that something else possibly be? ;-)
UPDATED: Well, there's always gotta be one critic (although what it really seemed to have a problem with was me possibly fleeing to Oxford - awww, it would miss me, would it?). So I now issue this command - do not come here if you are no fun! I wouldn't want to press the "delete" button in my sleep. *Snore*

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Bob O'Hara said...

Well, I'm now convinced that any progress is illusionary.

Oh, not quite. We evolutionary biologists love our jobs. Progress is obviously just a bit subtler.

Bob

July 17, 2007 12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just the thing I needed to get me going this morning, to get ready for work.

Nice animation, but I don't think I will share it at work. Gotta be 110%, you know!

July 17, 2007 6:14 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

John and I are both hypocrites, BTW. We love our jobs!

July 17, 2007 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As if computer simulations, with designed programs, accurately represent evolution.

This is the lie Dawkins has been promoting ever since he claimed that the Nilson and Pelger computer "model" demonstrated the evolution of the eye.

It did no such thing, there was no model, and it was concerned with an eyeball, not an eye.

He knows this, you know it, but he continues to spew his bile.

And you are an willfully ignorant accomplice to his spew.

WTF? Do you think he is going to make you an assisant at Oxford?

July 17, 2007 12:21 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Gawd! What a STUFFED SHIRT! Can't you have a little fun? I think somebody is jealous! Well, dearie, I don't want to be an assistant at Oxford so don't worry. Oxford is too stuffy for me - like somebody else I could mention - and therefore my secret love with the man I'm living with is safe. (But don't spread it around, huh? I'm trying to keep my closet monogamy in the closet). ;-)

Maybe you should take this test and lighten up a little! You bore the shit out of me. WTF? What are you even doing here?

July 17, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

And what's with the Live Search all the time BTW? I don't merit a linky, sweetie?

July 17, 2007 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez.

Who peed in Jack Off All Trades' cornflakes?

And who stole his biology book? Give it back, he obviously needs it desperately.

Kisses

July 18, 2007 2:03 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

He hates his job, that's all. ;-)

July 18, 2007 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack doesn't know jack...

July 18, 2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Jack needs a Jill I think.

But anyway, enough about the troll! What do you think of the animation?

July 18, 2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

That was very cute. What did he use for the animation software? My significant other has been wanting to do his own thing but we know nothing about software for that.

July 20, 2007 12:46 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

He used Flash, which I also want to learn.

For an example of what Flash can really do, go here.

May I congratulate you on your courage for choosing that moniker. ;-) I'm not that brave.

July 20, 2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Reason's Whore said...

Well it was that or "whore".

Thanks for the tip!

July 20, 2007 6:53 PM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

That was deliciously wierd - a hearty monkey scream to John!

This is a Humanist expression of evolution however, - the notion that space will be a next level for humankind is Roddenberryish and was as well depicted in the vreality game "Sim Earth"

It doesn't bode well for us when creatures like bill O'Reilly and Pat Robertson and the guy who sits in the cube across from me can crawl out from the ooze.

I hate my Job.

July 21, 2007 4:37 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Oh, dear friend Rev. Barky. I was afraid that you hated your job - I guessed that. I'm sorry that things suck for you right now. Take heart, things are going to get better soon, right?

As for me, there is a downside to being in a liberal arts setting, and that is, the pay can be low, although I'm certainly doing okay, and the people are great.

As for going into space, I just had an idea for my evo vs. ID Pleasurian space opera. I'm an unabashed fan of Roddenberry - maybe someday we can teleport the cubicle jerks (a great name for a band!) to another planet.

"Set phasers for stun, and circle the cubicle jerks!" Ahem.

July 21, 2007 10:11 AM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

Don't forget to include the space adventure "Orgasmatron" from the movie "Barbarella" - or perhaps futuristic "Sleeper".

Yes I am looking for a new job at the moment.

July 21, 2007 5:43 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

It will feature a dance-off between creationists and science advocates, along with a bacterial flagellum dance line. If it's a hit, I'll split the royalties with you. ;-)

July 21, 2007 6:47 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Okay, okay!

Rev. Barky told me in person that he wants an orgasmatron in the story. But this time, I think the victim is male, and the perpetrator female. I'll get right on it.

When it's picked up by Broadway, we're all gonna be rich! (Yeah, right...)

July 23, 2007 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home