FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Like I Care (That I Was Wrong)

UPDATED: You know what? I was wrong. This is a big and important story. Look at what I found on what Senator Vitter's wife said in 2000:

Vitter won a special election to Louisiana's 1st Congressional District in 1999, succeeding Republican Congressman Bob Livingston, who resigned after an adultery scandal. Vitter said about Livingston's decision to resign, "It's obviously a tremendous loss for the state.... I think Livingston's stepping down makes a very powerful argument that Clinton should resign as well and move beyond this mess", referring to the Monica Lewinsky scandal of President Bill Clinton. In 2000, his wife, Wendy Vitter, commenting on the same scandal, "I'm a lot more like Lorena Bobbitt than Hillary. If he [Vitter] does something like that, I'm walking away with one thing, and it's not alimony, trust me", referring to the incident of Lorena Bobbitt severing the penis of her husband and to Clinton's wife, Hillary Clinton.

Forget what I said below. What I denied overpowered me. Thank you for pointing out my transgressions, people!

SECOND UPDATE: Now, see? The scandal has snared one on our side - and me, too...
-----
A Louisiana Senator had (and hopefully still has) male sexual feelings, and he expressed them with a prostitute. Did he pick up drug addicted girls on the streets? Did he rape an acquaintance? No, he went to a $300 an hour brothel.

Well, aside from the question of how prostitution treats women, and the issues within his marriage, who fucking cares? Not me. I'm relieved to find out that guys like this have normal sexual feelings. It's his problem and his wife's, not mine. I don't know, maybe they should go to the brothel together - spice things up a little. I'm also relieved to find out that Ted Haggard is a human being, too. If he wasn't so ashamed of his true self he would not have been living a double life. What you deny overpowers you.

This was "a very serious sin in my past," says Senator Vitter of the prostitution. You know what? I can think of a lot more serious things. Like closing libraries.

Like the pyramid scheme that is our health care system.

Like kids without any health care coverage. Homeless kids. Abused kids.

Like veterans who can't get adequate treatment, or soldiers who come back from Iraq and end up living on welfare.

Sins like that. When are Americans going to grow up about sex?

Well, at least we're not Iran, where a man was stoned to death for adultery after being imprisoned for 11 years.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Thank you Janine. Had he been anyone else, I would also argue that everyone should leave his private marriage issues private. But as someone who has proposed multiple bills regarding the "sanctity of marriage" and claiming that gays and lesbians shouldn't be married because they aren't moral enough, he sets himself up to scrutiny. What was it his hero said, "Let him without sin cast the first stone"?

July 11, 2007 6:14 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Well, I care too about his homophobia, but I think that point just gets lost in our all-American love of the sex scandal. If he had had sex with a male prostitute - as Haggard did - then people would bestir themselves, as they briefly did, and think, "Well, maybe he's gay too, and what's wrong with that anyway," etc. (Frankly I think Haggard is bi, but people seem unwilling to contemplate that.) But now people are just salivating for the details of Madame's little black book - and of course, publicizing the names will just give these guys more opportunities to invoke Jesus publicly. I don't think it help the real issue at all.

This doesn't happen in Europe. No one gives a shit about this stuff there. It's all cut from the same bolt - prudery, oppression of sexuality, exploitation of sexuality, homophobia, violence against women, etc. I'm sick of the media having the same puerile discussion again and again. I agree with you guys, but this shit doesn't help.

July 11, 2007 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristine, I agree that stuff like this should not be big news. In a lot of ways, it shows this society's warped view of sex. But Vittel is someone who used this hatred of any sexual to advance his career. So let him burn.

Janine

July 11, 2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Well, yeah, I don't care what happens to his ass, for sure.

But if people want to talk about sex scandals, I'd like to know how many woman are secretly punished or thrown out of the fundy marriage for having their own sexual indescretions? Without the "God has already forgiven me" talk (because women have to atone and atone and atone before God forgives them.) Then at least we can refocus the discussion.

July 11, 2007 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristine, I hope you realize our only disagreement here is how big of news this Vittel is. I am in complete agreement about how women are treated in similar situations. This being part of the fine idea of the man is the head of the marriage just as christ is head of the church idea.

Sadly, and I know you realize this, somehow we have to get past this fundy view of sex, marriage, gender roles and that rest of the messy crap people like Vittel drags us all in.

The news is not that Vittel used prostitutes. The news is that he cannot live up to what he claims god defined us to be. Then he tries to slick out of it by claiming god forgives him. He has built his career using the type of people who think that people do not deserve full rights and in fact, we belong in hell.

So the real news here is that this is just an other example of fundy failure. And the sad truth is that the fundy movement has caused a lot more problems for people not just in the US but worldwide. The abstinence programs the the US supports world wide and the religious crusade the is Iraq.

So, yeah, let us refocus and Vittel's agenda and let Vittel get crushed in the wake.

Janine

July 11, 2007 10:21 AM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

I don't think anyone really cares that much about the fact that these guys are going to prosties - other than it makes a juicy news story. What is at issue here is that these guys say one thing and do another. But here is T. Carlson defending them by saying its OK to do those things as long as you are speaking out against them. - WHA!?

I thought we were supposed to have people with integrity in office.
How can you count on then to DO anything if all they care about is TALKING about what should be done?

Hell, I could do that, but I am not a liar and I don't care to commit myself to thing I know I will not accomplish. Who would trust me?

July 11, 2007 11:25 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Well, I have an aversion to crowds shouting for crucifixions. But omigosh, Doug, you are so right – because look at what I found! (On wiki, no less – what, no one else jumped on this?)

Vitter won a special election to Louisiana's 1st Congressional District in 1999, succeeding Republican Congressman Bob Livingston, who resigned after an adultery scandal. Vitter said about Livingston's decision to resign, "It's obviously a tremendous loss for the state.... I think Livingston's stepping down makes a very powerful argument that Clinton should resign as well and move beyond this mess", referring to the Monica Lewinsky scandal of President Bill Clinton. In 2000, his wife, Wendy Vitter, commenting on the same scandal, "I'm a lot more like Lorena Bobbitt than Hillary. If he [Vitter] does something like that, I'm walking away with one thing, and it's not alimony, trust me", referring to the incident of Lorena Bobbitt severing the penis of her husband and to Clinton's wife, Hillary Clinton.

Hahahaha! Want to send her an e-mail reminding her of this, or should I?

Rev. Barky, you are my hero.

July 11, 2007 2:47 PM  
Blogger Russ said...

"What you deny overpowers you."

Are those your words, Dear Muse? That is a beautiful insight, Kristine.

July 11, 2007 2:48 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

You are all my heroes! What the hell. I take it back! I was wrong, you were right, I do care about nookie, and I think Vitter should get what’s coming to him! :-D After all, morals are morals. Right, “Lorena” Vitter?

July 11, 2007 2:55 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

What I deny overpowers me! I cannot fight it. What a hypocrite I am. Russ, everything I need to know I learned from my commenters. (All together now – group hug...and make sure we get a tree in there...) :-)

July 11, 2007 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? Are we now a bunch of tree huggers?
frowns
Janine

July 11, 2007 3:17 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I was just hoping somebody would make a comment about wood. Considering the topic.

July 11, 2007 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Kristine, I am beginning to think you have too much sex on your mind.
snicker
Janine

July 11, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

MOI?

July 11, 2007 4:32 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Moi, too much sex on my mind? What is this strange concept, "too much sex"? Perhaps the Senator could, er, fill me in.

Didn't mean to jump all over you on this one.

Vous? ;-)

Jeanette Maier, the madam known for operating a high-end brothel with her mother and daughter, said Tuesday that U.S. Sen. David Vitter made occasional visits to her business beginning in the mid-1990s after the two met at a fishing rodeo

Où ça? What the hell is a fishing rodeo, if I’m not being too inquisitive?

I know better than to write to Rev. Barky in French. *kitteh wink*

July 11, 2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

You didn't resemble a troll at all. Are you kidding? Legion proposed marriage and everything in between insults. And made some other proposals, too.

A tarpon Rodeo. Well, blow me, I'm from Minnesota (by way of England). What a big, beautiful world it is out there! Up here, we just use hooks. :-D

Someone needs to write "Darwin" on that fish icon.

July 11, 2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Maybe I should add that "blow me" is a British expression for surprise, not a come-on (though of course I chose it for its double meaning).
;-)

July 11, 2007 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm for the 11 years of prison + stoning where the party involved used the very acts he partook of to damage this nation.

Come to think of it - forget the 11 years....

Make Mrs. Lorena whack the boy with the first rock and then trot out the last week's women convicted of the CRIME of "servicing" a man and let them play ball....

GAME OVER!

July 13, 2007 12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're dropping like flies, Kristine.

Kisses

July 14, 2007 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home