FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Wednesday, July 04, 2007

At Last, An Answer for Iraq

The Star Tribune is, frankly, on the decline as a newspaper but its opinion/commentary page today was excellent (being that it was copied and pasted from other sources).

Tom Friedman's latest opinion piece offers the United States some measure of success in Iraq by focusing our efforts upon building a democracy in Kurdistan. It's a good idea. We owe the Kurds big time, and we simply can't afford to lose Iraq entirely, and despite whatever withdrawal that will, eventually, happen, we are not leaving Iraq altogether. We'll be there for the next twenty years if not more. Therefore, a small victory in Kurdistan - like the small but influential country of Dubai - can have an enormous impact upon the Middle East.

Also, Jack Vessey writes about how all Americans can make a difference.

When the FBI came out with its list of top domestic threats in 2005, John and I looked askance at each other to see animal rights activists as the number one pool of domestic terrorists. Even after a break-in at a University of Minnesota lab by animal-rights "activists," I still had no clue as to the real agenda and tactics of these groups. Now, through online discussions with other liberal, progressive people who have been harassed by animal rights activists, I am no longer surprised. This is a frightening story.

Have a happy and safe Fourth of July.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's odd. I would have put the current administration at the top of the list of domestic terrorist threats to our nation.

But maybe that's just me.

July 04, 2007 1:56 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Frankly, I would have tried Ronald Reagan and Donald Rumsfeld for crimes against humanity for their support of Saddam even after he gassed the Kurds.

George Will wrote that the people opposing the war will have to answer for what they were doing while Saddam Hussein was killing his own people. What a laugh. Will is precisely one of the people who have much to answer for, since he was praising Saddam in the 1980s while I was denouncing him.

July 04, 2007 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard so many answers to Iraq and heard as many reasons why they wont work. I gave up trying to figure out the answer myself. I think we could have finished this years ago. I think that politicians don't want the fighting to end. I think they are trying to use this as a vehicle to spark more war. Just my feeling but I could be wrong.

Regardless I think the Kurds deserve their own state. The rest of Iraq does not respect them. They have proven they can care for themselves.

http://godsfake.blogspot.com/

July 05, 2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

and they make some great rice dishes....

July 05, 2007 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home