FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Friday, June 29, 2007

Eight More Facts About Amused Muse

I've been tagged again! Pink Prozac got me this time - check out her great blog. I won't post the rules again, they're below. Also, I'm not going to tag more people unless I need to. (UPDATED: Hermagoras wanted to be tagged. Tagged he is.)

Okay, short and sweet:

1. I love triolobites!
2. I love the beautiful voice of Warda!
3. I love belly dance (Raqs al-Sharki)!
4. No, I'm not freaked out by cross-dressing sockpuppetry. Here's one reason why.
5. I love the beautiful poetry of surrealist Robert Desnos, the atheist in a foxhole, the lover, the fighter, the free spirit. O sentimental balances!
6. Whenever I see them I just mentally walk right into the lovely works of Joan Miro.
7. Before I wrote my first novel I detested André Breton and thought that he was an asshole due to his rigidity, his chokehold on the surrealist movement, banning everyone who questioned his authority (remind you of a certain blog moderator in the present day?), and trying to reshape the movement according to his whim. After I wrote my first novel, I adored André Breton – and I still thought he was an asshole. I was even scared to stand at his grave in Paris, such a looming, and powerful, and sexually charged creature he was and is to me.
8. I think this whole thing happening with religion and creationism in America is due to people needing to withdraw from reality to lick their wounds for whatever reason. Okay, heal yourself, then - do what you have to do - but that's not any place to live out your life. Americans, we are an example to the world, we do have a responsibility to export democracy in the right way, we are the keepers of science for the planet, and that means setting an example and acting like adults, which we have not been.

We have no business buying into this bland, commercialized, Designer cookie-cutter, inner-child, unworldly "don't-know-much-about-history," self-righteous, loveable bumpkin view of ourselves, because that's not who we are. Each person is a tower of strength - former social disaster me is proof of that - and nobody is going to collapse upon facing the truth about ourselves and where we came from. Our only hope for the future is acknowledging the past, which is a noble and poetic past. Jesus is not coming to earth to save us. That is a myth people made up out of fear and hope. We must do for ourselves. That's the American way.

Your world is as small or as large as you make it. But whatever happens, the world is not going away.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristjan Wager said...

Remember that bad examples, are also examples. So the US can still be an example to the rest of the world.

June 30, 2007 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

Kisses

June 30, 2007 5:16 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Oh yeah, obviously, Kristjan - and that's just what's happened.

JanieBelle, did you enjoy the Middle Eastern cross-dressing link? Tell the boy!

June 30, 2007 5:51 PM  
Blogger Hermagoras said...

your wish etc.

June 30, 2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger Hermagoras said...

wait, that was my wish. Oh well.

June 30, 2007 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally missed that!

(My head swells whenever you mention me, my knees get weak and I stop thinking clearly... oh wait... did I type that out loud?)

Kisses, I'm off to explore that link!

June 30, 2007 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home