FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Saturday, March 29, 2008

Expelled: Fear of Not Flying and the Story of O(vation)

UPDATED: ReligionProf received an e-mail (actually two) about Freedom Friday! When my mouth stopped watering, because I thought that meant French Fries Day, I read his sarcastic wit about being "invited" to rent a theatre in which to show Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. Those Gone with the Wind allusions are becoming more appropriate by the second! (If you rent a theatre so that Ben-I-love-credit-cards-Stein can show his movie in it, do you get to bring your own treats - say French Fries - into the theatre, or do you still have to put up with what's at the concession (they named it that for a reason) stand?)

(Photo courtesy of Quidam at AtBC)



So now you know where we got the information about the super-secret, no-atheist-cooties-allowed screening of Expelled. It was Glen Davidson, Expelled debunker extraordinaire, who informed us about the screenings. And where did Glen get his information? It was posted on a Christian blog.

Well, so much for "crashing" the screening. If anything, it was this film that crashed, and burned.

Troy Britain also found another public link to these screenings. He says:

This is followed by miscellaneous links and quoted endorsements. Did you happen to catch the URL in the middle of that? It goes right to one of the RSVP pages. Glen thought people might find this interesting so he promptly posted it on several popular blogs, web pages, and newsgroups, that deal with the CvE debate.

It was found on one of those sites (After the Bar Closes on Antievolution.org) by Kristine Harley, who then passed it on to Myers, and you know what happened after that.

So there were at least two places on publicly accessible web pages where one could find links to the Expelled RSVP pages and sign up to see the film. And both apparently included the Mall of America showing.

Slap the cuffs on me.

Troy himself found out what happens when you are "invited" to see a screening of the film Expelled: you don't see the film Expelled. You pay $10 see a trailer of the film. Oh, and you see Ben Stein win another incestuous ID award, to which the audience treated him to three Minnesota "we're-too-polite-to-tell-you-to-step-away-from-the-microphone-but-we-have-to-pee" ovations.

Oh, yes, this is exactly how previews for legitimate films meant for a wide audience are screened. Who can forget those merry days when Gone with the Wind was previewed before a hand-picked audience of cave hermits who thought that the Civil War was still going on? And those chivalrous cops dressed in authentic Confederate uniforms "skulking around" [that's really funny, Denyse O'Leary!] the theatre to make sure that no one gave away which side won the war?

Shimmies to Bad at Bad Idea and Troy at Playing Chess with Pigeons (and no, my shimmies do not cost $10, nor do I know specifically where $10 blowjobs can be found. Quit asking me!) :-)

P.S. Gee, come to think of it, we haven't heard from Ben Stein on this. In fact, he's been pretty quiet about this whole incident.


Maybe he's too busy rewriting everything "from Darwin to Hitler!"

(courtesy Quidam from AtBC again. Shimmies, Quidam! I read Mein Kampf. Bleh. More on what Hitler thought was evolution here at AtBC.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

Granted, my information is a few years out of date, but the prostitute who propositioned me in Boston's theater district was offering BJs for $20. I doubt the've depreciated since then, especially with the dollar as weak as it is, so I'm going to have to write off this $20 blowjob as a myth at best.

$10 seems like a reasonable price to pay for shimmies, on the other hand. ;)

March 30, 2008 2:33 AM  
Blogger Joshua said...

Err, obviously I meant that the $10 blowjob is a myth, since in the sentence before I mentioned being offered one for $20, so clearly the $20 BJ does exist, or at least it did two years ago when I was propositioned.

I blame the absinthe for fucking that one up.

March 30, 2008 2:35 AM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

"I have to pee" - very funny!

I wouldn't go anywhere near the prosties that hang around Frogtown in my town - even if I were into that kind of thing. http://mn-stpaul.civicplus.com/index.asp?NID=2351

March 30, 2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Nobody gets the joke that it’s Ben Stein who is the prostitute. ;-)

March 31, 2008 11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get the impression that this film may not be shown in any venue other than the auditoriums of fundamentalist churches, where it will merely preach to the choir.
If it shows up at any of the art houses in KC, I probably won't trouble myself to see it. I wouldn't feel that I would be getting my money's worth.

It is sad that there are so many fundamentalists. There are far too many ignorant, stupid people in this world.
Scotius

April 01, 2008 12:31 AM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

I am reminded of a story that was reprinted in Omni magazine years ago - The Marching Morons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons

April 01, 2008 10:46 AM  
Blogger Evolved Rationalist said...

I was once a militant New Atheist, but God converted me to Christianity. God revealed himself to me yesterday and I accepted Jesus into my heart. I hope you do too, and I am praying for you.

http://www.evolvedrational.com/2008/04/god-revealed-himself-to-me-yesterday.html

April 01, 2008 2:06 PM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

The only people who use the term "Militant Atheist" are fundie trolls.
If you are going to lie to us, why don't you come up with an more convincing story? Substantive changes in personal values do not happen over night. No one becomes an Atheist overnight, but more and more people are gradually coming to see religion for what it is - a horrendous fraud.

Instead of putting your hands together, try sticking your finger up your ass. Maybe that will give you another epiphany.

Next.

April 01, 2008 3:34 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Barky! Barky! Shhh. I'm gonna make us some moolah! ;-)

Evolved Rationalist-
I am dead. I died of boredom while waiting for a bus in Minneapolis. I am writing this from the grave!

Shimmies survive death! And that's all I'm saying for now. Want the rest of the astonishing, exiting, exhilerating details? Send $500 to my earthly vessel (a cloned cell of the formerly alive me conveniently created 43 years ago) and I'll speak again from the grave.

If you don't, I'll let you in on the bad news that it is really Harry Houdini, and not God, who has been speaking to you all this time. And I won't tell you what Stephen J. Gould now knows about the evolution of the eye.

So, cough up! In the name of Jesus. (He and Hermes are tight, I am not kidding.)

(Those two and I and Harry are going to split the proceeds and have a party in the Creation Museum.)

(In fact, I think I'll haunt the Creation Museum. Tyrannysaur comes "alive!" R'arr! Wouldn't it be funny if I loaded up that ark with dead spirit animals?)

I wouldn't go anywhere near the prosties that hang around Frogtown in my town

Them's are called frosty prosties.

April 01, 2008 5:01 PM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

hey, evolved rationalist - give me my goat back!

April 02, 2008 9:18 AM  
Blogger breakerslion said...

Evolved Rationalist: Sorry to hear about the brain damage.

Producers, Writers, and Directors Wanted:

Open call for parody project titled, "Excreted"

April 02, 2008 3:01 PM  
Blogger James F. McGrath said...

I finally got around to making my own altered version of the photo of Stein standing before Darwin. I thought you might find it amusing. :)

April 16, 2008 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home