FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Monday, March 24, 2008

Most. Hits. Evah!

UPDATED: Courtesy of BWE over at AtBC.
SECOND UPDATE: You may have noticed that I've added Site Meter to this blog, because while Freestats gives me numbers, it hasn't updated its user profiles yet. So far I'm liking Site Meter better. Plus, now this blog has full syndication.




Welcome, and many thanks to all the visitors here. As a result of Expelledgate, I have had over 7100 hits on this site.* I feel like I've taken part in an important moment in history!

Thanks again, Richard, for directing people here and for quoting me.

And thank you, Wesley, for using your scalpel on the producer's pat-the-lady-on-the-head response to me. (Okay, you're all thinking "Lady?" I hear you.)

If you need to cleanse the palate, Wesley has a nice post about Rosalind Franklin and the invisible line between "scientists" and "technicians" that, along with chauvinism and opportunism, deprived this remarkable woman of a Nobel Prize for the co-discovery of DNA.

There are legitimate controversies within evolutionary theory. There are valid questions about and real problems within the process of peer review. There are many unanswered questions in both evolution and abiogenesis, and as Lawrence Krauss [fixed spelling] lectured to a rapt audience at the American Atheist convention, there are many, many unanswered questions about this universe which, as it turns out, is stranger than we have imagined, and perhaps stranger than we can imagine.

(As soon as the video of Lawrence's lecture is up I'll post it here, and I recommend that everyone watch it. If you're not familiar with the concepts you may have to refer to other sources on the subject, and work your way through the video more than once, and think it through more than once. I bore up quite well during his lecture, and it still blew my mind. You will fall in love with cosmology all over again.)

These questions are so much fun that I want everyone to explore them, debate them, or at least know about them - instead of creating false controversies about conspiracies that don't exist (and creating conspiracies that do exist, like throwing an interviewee out of a theatre where the film he was interviewed for was being screened.) Can we return to the real questions now? Can Americans learn the real questions through real science in our science classes? Thank you!

*As of late Friday, that is. My blogometer has not updated over the weekend. I'm waiting for my blogometer to be resurrected. So, it would appear that my stats are even higher.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger BWE said...

Hi! I recognize that picture. :)

I just left this comment over at the expelled blog:
----------------------

# BWE Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
March 25th, 2008 at 4:48 am

Atheists react so strongly to this issue because they fear the wrath of the Almighty. Whatever propaganda this film may preach, whatever religious biases the production company may support, whatever inaccuracies and misrepresentations of science, scientists and education may lie within the film, they are trivial compared to the love of the Almighty.

I am however, seriously disturbed that people at the screening where the evolutionist was expelled from the line were rude to a woman who accompanied Richard Dawkins. That crosses a line of decency that God himself commanded we keep.
-------------------

It looks like they are letting most comments through but just in case, it'll be interesting to see if they mind having one like mine.

P.S. do you find that the word verification thingy helps? It is a tad annoying.

March 25, 2008 5:50 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Atheists react so strongly to this issue because they fear the wrath of the Almighty.

BWE, I don't know what you're talking about.

I have never understood what people are talking about when they say stuff like this! Why are you talking like this all of a sudden to me?

March 25, 2008 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great long weekend! Much more fun than ritual human sacrifice and cannablism.
Thanks for your reportage and insight, Kristine.

Boko999
(howdjaworktherazzlefrackenwhatziz)

March 25, 2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger BWE said...

I have never understood what people are talking about when they say stuff like this! Why are you talking like this all of a sudden to me?

reverse psychology. It's part of an experiment I'm doing.

See how I used wrath the first time and love the second time? Maybe I was too subtle.

Read between those lines,

... this film may preach, whatever religious biases the production company may support, whatever inaccuracies and misrepresentations of science, scientists and education may lie within the film...

I'm so tricky I even fool the smart ones sometimes...

er,... that might actually mean my trick didn't work mightn't it?

I bet you could never guess which UD posters I've been. (Hint, the really crazy ones that fit right in)

See, the idea is, if they agree, then they agree to all the stuff in between. It's like slipping another sheet under the contract and having them sign the sheet underneath.

I'm severely naughty. My second book is going to be about Poe's Law. I can't say any more now for fear of being unmasked in some of my richer tard mines.

March 25, 2008 1:52 PM  
Blogger djempirical said...

hi!

totally off topic, but as a feed reader could i ask a favor? i'd like to see at least a little more of the article in the feed (currently only the subject header comes through).

would you mind expanding it a bit, or even to include the full post?

thanks!

March 25, 2008 2:05 PM  
Blogger BWE said...

Also, after admitting the fraud within the film, they then have to take responsibility for hassling a girl. No way out. You see what I did there? Maybe I need to work on it a bit. I did one on ftk's blog too.

March 25, 2008 3:42 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Okay, BWE, I overreacted. I'm sorry. But that language really weirds me out.

Certain things push my emotional/memory buttons – namely, God’s judgment, hell and damnation, any books by Hal Lindsey, the phrase “the good news,” and Americas Top 40.

March 25, 2008 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did someone just mention Casey Casem?

March 25, 2008 5:21 PM  
Blogger BWE said...

The whole church experience is merely novelty for me. I've only been to one bona-fide church service in my whole life and all I got was a strange sense of anachronism plus a faint fight/flight reaction.

I've been to a few unitarian services but those don't really count as church since they've never used the words Jesus or even God in my presence.

I am still trying to finish my first book on the subject and am working with the ideas of inconsistencies and consistencies.

I do have compassion but not much sympathy for the poor sots.

Sorry if I touched a nerve. I promise it was accidental. I almost always put posts inside my posts BTW. It's a game I play. However, I promise to always be honest with you if you ask me. Scout's Honor. (I really was a scout).

March 25, 2008 5:31 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

would you mind expanding it a bit, or even to include the full post?

Full post expanded. Enjoy!

March 25, 2008 6:19 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I've only been to one bona-fide church service in my whole life and all I got was a strange sense of anachronism plus a faint fight/flight reaction.

Wow. I did the whole 9 yards.

(I really was a scout).

I was a scout, too. (Girl scout.)

March 25, 2008 6:21 PM  
Blogger BWE said...

The whole 9 yards? In what sort of institution?

March 25, 2008 8:02 PM  
Blogger Bad said...

They've always let almost all comments through on that site. As I surmised when they first put up the blog, the point of it is sort of as a place to let people flame back and forth, and from there they can occasionally do a little nutpicking from our side, or whine about angry and persecuted everyone is.

March 25, 2008 8:26 PM  
Blogger BWE said...

Kristine! News Flash!! Is this article referring to you???

March 25, 2008 9:06 PM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

Actually, the show Kristine and I went to was last Thursday at the Mall of America. This incident happened in another city. Minnesotans are not very good at shouting "shut-up". That is why 4 way stops have historically been a problem here.

"You go on ahead."
"Naw, you can go."
"No, no, its alright, you go." "Shucks, I'm fine just sittin here so you can go first"....

At least that's the way it USED to be.

March 26, 2008 9:39 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

No, that’s not referring to me, BWE. However, I do link to that review in one of my posts. No one yelled “Shut up” at our screening but someone did yell, “Read Mein Kampf!” to me. I have read Mein Kampf. If anything, this film reminds me of that piece of crap – ponderous and whining, paranoid, devoid of scientific content. Yep.

March 26, 2008 10:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have to admit that the whole story tripled the traffic to my own blog, resulting in the most hits in one day. That was kind of nice, also that if you google 'expelled no intelligence review', then my 'why it's a load of bunk' entry come up as fourth. Ha.

March 28, 2008 1:06 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Hey, I'm happy for you, Matt. Isn't it fun?

March 28, 2008 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home