FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Monday, May 21, 2007

Origin of Species

UPDATED: For those of you who are confused by the "Burn Kristine she's a witch" meme by Rich(ard Hughes) at Pharyngula and at After the Bar Closes, all I can say is, it's a long story.

Now that evil warlock Richard Hughes has photoshopped my photo with the good Richard!

I shall marshall my forces, and all my sea horses, to take my revenge. Stay tuned.
----
I brought Origin of Species and Descent of Man to the island that was Darwin's favorite, James (Santiago) Island.

Okay, I'll start the Galapagos Diary soon and stop gloating, I promise! (Today was a hectic day at work for me, if that makes you feel any better.)




However, this comment from Russ made my day:

When one of my favorite bloggers shares a significant event, I often go over the relevant blog entries with my family. It's a great way to kick off non-trivial conversations with my two kids, daughter, 14 and son, 16. Earlier this evening, I rounded up the kids(my wife was at karate) at a computer to share your entries about your Galapagos trip. When I scrolled to the "Origin of Species" entry, my teen son and daughter, in unison, said, "Hey! Isn't that Richard Dawkins." It made me feel quite proud that they both recognized him, but to top it off, they both knew that he is an important evolutionary biologist.

Whether one chooses to call it gloating, in jest, or sharing, in earnest, I think is less important than the way it can raise our awareness to the world and the people around us. As a parent I don't always know if my efforts to guide my children toward a clear perspective on the state of the world are getting through. All too often I have to ask: am I wasting my time? Then, like a shot something simple, like their response to your blog entry, Kristine, has a deep calming effect on me. It puts my heart at ease to think they're catching on, they're getting it.

So, thank you, Kristine. As you continue sharing your recent experiences, who knows what manner of epiphany - yours and mine alike - awaits.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I think you have a right to gloat! Good work on that Falwell thing while you were gone BTW!

When do you go on your next gad-about, so we can expect Pat Robertson or James Dobson to finally become contributing members of society? At least worm society...

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME BACK TO THE REAL WORLD!

May 21, 2007 6:11 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

My next gad-about won't come until I pay off this one (and other debts), unfortunately. Now CFI staff is talking about a trip up the Amazon river! That sounds like fun - although an African safari would be more to my liking.

Or a trip to England. That's right up my alley, considering my English Literature background. I've always wanted to visit places relevant to Byron, Shelley, Wollenstonecraft, Keats, Wordsworth, Darwin, etc. I've dreamed of living and working in Paris, but my language skills aren't quite there, plus the bureaucracy is quite forbidding. Maybe I should make as my goal working in London someday, with Paris closeby! ;-)

If I could work in a library or a museum in England, that would be my absolute dream. Although it seems that the Galapagos islands of San Cristobel and Santa Cruz are without libraries.

Hmmmm....

May 21, 2007 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap that's Richard Dawkins.

May 21, 2007 10:12 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Of course it is! Who were you expecting? ;-)

May 21, 2007 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The British should really think about taking up dentistry.

May 22, 2007 6:42 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Yeah? Maybe you should take up a real name. One of our docents saw the photo and exclaimed, "He has a great smile!" My sentiments exactly.

I notice that it's always men who make this comment about him. Decloak and prove me wrong?

May 22, 2007 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! That isn't Mrs. Dawkins in the picture, is it?

May 22, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger Rev. Barky said...

Well, the moon landings were filmed in Arizona......

May 22, 2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

No, lovesick, it's not Lalla. It's me, okay?

This and your other comment makes me suspect a troll.

May 22, 2007 10:12 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Damn it, Rev. Barky! The reason I posted these was to prove I was there! Arrrrggghhh! ;-)

May 22, 2007 10:24 AM  
Blogger James F. McGrath said...

Thanks for this wonderful blog, and in particular for sharing your story of telling Richard Dawkins the "good news" and in such a pognant way!

You probably have already seen the attempt of Kirk Cameron and another creationist speaker to provide an argument for the banana as proof of divine creation. There are some hilarious parodies of it and responses to it on YouTube. I've collected some of my favorites on my blog at http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/blog/

Enjoy!

May 22, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Hey, thanks for the link!

Yes, I know about the peanut butter "disproving" evolution. Ugghhh. Did you know that potato chips also disprove evolution? Huh, huh? Well, did you ever find a Frito in a potato chip bag? Huh? (I'm not making this up. Sunday youth group memories of the 1970s.)

And speaking of the 1970s:

"Dude! You got your banana in my peanut butter!"

"No, Dude! You got my your peanut butter on my banana!"

"Hmmm! It doesn't taste too bad! Good thing that evolution is a lie, and that we can expect no new life in - gack! *Cough!* I think I have food poisoning!"

May 22, 2007 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristine,

I agree with j-dog saying you have a right to gloat. In fact, I have a proud papa moment to share which has resulted directly from you, not gloating, but rather sharing your trip photos with your readers.

When one of my favorite bloggers shares a significant event, I often go over the relevant blog entries with my family. It's a great way to kick off non-trivial conversations with my two kids, daughter, 14 and son, 16. Earlier this evening, I rounded up the kids(my wife was at karate) at a computer to share your entries about your Galapagos trip. When I scrolled to the "Origin of Species" entry, my teen son and daughter, in unison, said, "Hey! Isn't that Richard Dawkins." It made me feel quite proud that they both recognized him, but to top it off, they both knew that he is an important evolutionary biologist.

Whether one chooses to call it gloating, in jest, or sharing, in earnest, I think is less important than the way it can raise our awareness to the world and the people around us. As a parent I don't always know if my efforts to guide my children toward a clear perspective on the state of the world are getting through. All too often I have to ask: am I wasting my time? Then, like a shot something simple, like their response to your blog entry, Kristine, has a deep calming effect on me. It puts my heart at ease to think they're catching on, they're getting it.

So, thank you, Kristine. As you continue sharing your recent experiences, who knows what manner of epiphany - yours and mine alike - awaits.

May 22, 2007 10:19 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Thank you, Russ! I'm so glad that you shared this with your kids.

In fact, I want to put your comment in the body of my post, if I may. Please greet your wife and kids for me!

May 22, 2007 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!

Kristine, I feel honored. Thank you sincerely for that special front page acknowledgement.

May 23, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

My pleasure!

May 23, 2007 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home