FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Amused Muse

Inspiring dissent and debate and the love of dissonance

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surreality, Have Fun Will Travel, Past Midnight before a Workday

Master's Degree holder, telecommuting from the hot tub, proud Darwinian Dawkobot, and pirate librarian belly-dancer bohemian secret agent scribe on a mission to rescue bloggers from the wholesome clutches of the pious backstabbing girl fridays of the world.



Saturday, November 18, 2006

Two Events from MN Planetarium Society

UPDATED: Here is Lawrence Rudnick's website. At first I thought he had written this creation parody that I loved in the New Yorker, but that's Paul, not Larry. I'm glad I didn't try to make it, though. Cold, shivering on the LRT in the dark, and weighted down with my finals, I ran home and stayed there, where Honeybunch was making dinner and the barf machines shut down for the day and sat on me.
---
From Parke W. Kunkle, President, Minnesota Planetarium Society:

1. Leonid Meteor Shower and Star Party
at Onan (last public star party of the year)
Star Party from 7 to 10 at Onan Observatory near Norwood-Young America.
Clear only event.
Map and directions at www.mnastro.org/onan
More on the Leonids here.

[It's time for the Leonids already?]

2. Lecture at First Unitarian Church.
Dr Lawrence Rudnick (from the U of M) is giving a lecture, free and open to the public, titled: "The Unfolding Universe - Finding Design".
The responding comments will be given by Rev. Dr. Kendyl Gibbons. Parke says, "Larry is a key member in helping get the planetarium started. He is excellent. His goal is to discuss some of the latest findings in Astronomy with the intent that it will stir discussion within communities of faith."
Refreshnments at 6:30.
Talk and response from 7 to 9:00

First Unitarian Society
900 Mount Curve Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403

Hmm. I don't know about that lecture. I'll try to go and if I do, I shall report.

(I must say that the name "Onan Observatory" makes my irony meter flash red!)

7 Comments:

Blogger breakerslion said...

I like Onan Family Values. I didn't know astronomy was among them, but everyone needs a hobby.

The lecture sounds like more half-assed non-reasoning disguised as logic. Don't eat anything before you try to sit through it.

November 18, 2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger JanieBelle said...

Sorry I've been MIA. I've been keeping tabs on stuff, I've just had my hands busy with this priceless video.

November 18, 2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Breakerslion, I'm not going to go. I just had class until 5 p.m. and my final exam and paper are in two weeks (not to mention that I have a final and an paper for another class!). That creeped up on me! Besides, Muse gets cranky when Muse doesn't eat. (I eat like a wolf gobbling a camel and that's only appetizers.)

That lecture does sound like more "designed to discover ourselves" pablum. Maybe someone else will go and write about it. I don't know anything about the professor involved, though. Parke has committed to ging to the Onan Observatory (another star party that I missed). *Sigh*

Janiebelle, MIA is the acronym I've been looking for for myself, not AWOL! I've been calling myself AWOL lately. D'oh.

That video is priceless. "It's okay to teach Darwin ["Darwin"? Do we teach "Newton"?], but you have to balance it with something else, such as creationism." Dolt.

November 18, 2006 7:49 PM  
Blogger JanieBelle said...

Thanks Kristine.

Yeah, Buckingham's an idiot.

Ed asked for a few little changes and there were a couple little things I wanted to adjust myself, so I've just uploaded "The Director's Cut". It'll get posted as soon as YouTube is done processing it. Should be within the hour.

November 18, 2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger Zachriel said...

Good site for naked star-gazing. Uh, I mean naked-eye star-gazing.

StarDate, especially the weekly tips.

November 20, 2006 6:36 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Oh, nice link Zachriel.

Naked star-gazing, huh?

“No, lift the telescope higher!”

November 20, 2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger JanieBelle said...

"What was that I just sat in????


Nevermind, I don't wanna know."

November 21, 2006 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home